Sunday, June 8, 2014

An unexpected medieval flag contest

So I was a little bummed out that I missed the Cortona medieval fair with the flag throwing contest because I could not figure out the train/bus combo..

Turns out that Arezzo is getting ready for their joust on the weekend we leave (we will miss) and this afternoon was their flag contest.  I heard the drums of the parade as I was skyping with Brian so I ran out to see it.. I am so fortunate to be staying less than a block away from Piazza grande..

So I was able to see them march in have their contest and everything.. Very cool, .


The march in.

The first group did routines with one one flag.

The second group had two.

hard to get in the picture but they threw flags up really high and often switched.. they put jugglers to shame.


They left quickly after the final flag.. I could hear them marching around town. They have performed at other Piazzas.




Soon it was just Piazza Grande again.




No comments:

Post a Comment