Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Tuesday, June 3rd

Today is a quiet day in some regards but i was going all day..

I taught and on the way, I started a new habit.

I stopped at the little produce stand by my house and bought a banana from the old lady for .50 Euro.  She does not get around well, and we are not supposed to touch the fruit, so you have to let her grab it..  but she and her husband can be seen delivering produce up and the down the street all night.   Its more expensive than the grocery store but its important to support the local business and also interact with my neighbors.

I also found that there is a vending station down the street (Corso Italia) that has .50 Euro water and .40 Euro coffees.. so I am starting the habit at veering off and finding a little pick me up before class.

Class was fine, I had students a written letter to parents to prepare for the OPTE exam.. something I have been thinking of adding to the Norman class.. I liked it.. (they may not have).

I went with a group of 12 students to Futurible which is a site for helping students with disabilities.. it was a clean and cheery facility but there was not a whole lot to see..  the woman was very forthcoming and answered lots of our questions.

after that I stayed with a few students and had cappuccinos while Charlotte took one group back and then picked us up.. So that was great. We had this crazy dessert that was a frozen cream puff coated in chocolate mousse.. three of us shared it.. but it was too rich. but nice to try.




Then I stopped at the grocery and got some cheeses and crostinis so I could have a crostini lunch. the other night I had a cheese plate for dinner and assorted cheese and some apricot jam is awesome.  Cheese here i

At 6:00 jim and Amy stopped by with their own groceries and then we went to Bar Stefano for appertivo.  I had limoncello again.. Yum!! We were joined by a chemistry professor who went to a rival college of Jim and Amy and they had fun talking a little alma mater trash.

I then met Bridgette and her friend for dinner at 7:30.  Bridgette is the GA here, and she is a student of Elon Dancy and Penny Pasque.  We had a great dinner and talked about all kinds of things, careers,  academic goals, the book Lean In and diversity issues.

She decided to join Christi Patsy and I and our plan to watch the sunset over Florence on Thursday.. and I am definitely looking forward to it..


No comments:

Post a Comment