Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 4 - a quiet day at the hotel

I took a day at the hotel – ho hum not so exciting.. right.. but in the end I got a lot done and felt  more ready for class..

 

At about 4:30 I took cab over to SMIC school and then went back to the Schezuan resturant that we had eaten at on Saturday.. I knew they  had an english menu and the food had been good..


However, it proved a little harder than I had thought, I could not ask for rice etc.. Turns out that the owner had a 14 year old daughter who had been studying English.

 

So she came over and offered to help me order. We talked and she told me that she had never talked to foreigners because she was afraid that her English was not good enough. I was really impressed with it actually.  She had the proper accent and she told me that her teacher was from the US..

 

Class went really well. I found out that Micah had been using Etherpad to keep class notes.. it was really fun and he did a great job with several other students. He started using it after we talked about the collaborative writing project.


We also tried out google wave.. I get it more now.. but its really not a class discussion tool.. it was too confusing.. really was hard to follow and got off topic.. Even using it with speaking..(ie.. Chris has the floor to introduce topics) But it was a fun exercise and just in time instruction.

 

The discussion that followed on the useful parts of the ELL book was fantastic.   The group took notes on the etherpad and I was really impressed..  It also allowed me to give examples to students, to have them look them up and for them to be noted. That was very effective.

 

After class Michael gave me a ride back to the hotel again.. Which was great because cabs are hard to come by at night.. Then I crashed..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment