Thursday, January 28, 2010

IPad – last day of class, and Taiking Road

Got up.. watched the end of my movie and then went to learn about the IPad. The price, I was floored, and actually said Wow in my hotel room alone..  That is the same cost of the Kindle DX (and I don't like the Kindle) I knew my students would be excited.

 

During the massage the night before, the girls suggested I got to Taiking Road – which is this arts area in old Shanghai. http://gochina.about.com/od/whattoseeinshanghai/ss/ShaoxingTaikang.htm

 

Unfortunately when Elaine wrote it down for me in Chinese she made a mistake – and so that began the confusion.. The cab driver had no stars (meaning he was new and does not speak any English).. so he was not sure where it was.. I tried calling Elaine, and she could not give directions..  We went into the hotel, and they were not much help.. so I decided to go to the subway and go to the science museum.  But then I called Elaine back, she had figured it out, she talked to the cabbie and I was off to Taikang road.  

 

The cab ride was about 75 rmb – whichi s considered expensive (but the guide book said its not near any subway station). It was an interesting area – it had little shops with different photographers and artists.

 

I found this one that I was in love with – it was a paper cutting place that did multiple colors and only make 5 prints. But it was 20,000 rmb for the one I liked.. after I saw that.. the rest were not as great.

 

I ended up getting a ceramic painting for my house. http://www.pureland.cn/ceramics_en.htm  it was around 30 dollars – so a great deal!

 

I ended up eating at Vietnamese restraurant. I had pickled green beans and spicy pork. IT was very good and different. I also had pumpkin soup that was very good. 

 

I wandered around the stores a little and then I got a milk tea from Tea Storm. One of the best milk teas I have had – and it was 4 rmb.  Its interesting all these milk tea places – they serve even hot tea in a plastic cup and then they have a machine that puts cellophane over the top and pop in straw. 

 

I grabbed a cab back and got ready for the final class.

 

Before class I met Mary Beth for another hair wash and massage – why not. She was an amazing masseuse, but I was still sore from the night before.. might have been a mistake.   We went to dinner at Mama's which is a Asian fusion place. We had rice with asparagus and bacon, we had a baked rice with a creamy sauce, and the really interesting one linguini with lox.   Mary Beth had a friend who worked there who really  adored here.. She was very sweet.

 

In class we talked about Ipad, we talked voki's and some other things that interested students..  then I consulted with each student individually about their lesson plan.  I felt bad because I got a bad case of the yawns and I did not want them to think I was not interested.. but perhaps it was the jet lag.

 

It was strange – the class ended and it was all over.. so intense and now ending. Students will be working on two projects, so I will still hear from them. But that part of class is over.

 

I went back to the hotel and crashed..  Tomorrow I move to Hilton and I won't have as accessible internet.. so I may be updating but I will be hanging with Min for the next two days until my flight back home on Sunday evening..

 

Its been a great trip so far..

 

 

PS. Min has told me that I need to stop with the massages.. I might be overdoing

 

Also, I should say, as I look at my flickr stream http://www.flickr.com/photos/drterri/sets/72157623154721591/  I do feel need to say, its not all about the food.. but I am eating a few things, that I don't even know what it is.. however, I have been here long enough, I can order by picture.. (had that, tried that.. etc.. )

No comments:

Post a Comment