Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 6 – Subway, Taiwanese food, and fang song (fahn sew ng)

Day 6 – Subway, Taiwanese food, and fang song (fahn sew ng)

I took the subway by myself… That was cool..

 

Subway

Today was a terribly rainy wet day, but I wanted to ride the subway and so I decided to go to People's Square for lunch.

 

Took a cab to the subway.

Then went to people's square.   It was a lovely park. I met a young girl (22 ish) who wanted to practice her English.   She was with her brother and had just moved to Shanghai to look for a job.

 

I walked around the park for a little while, and enjoyed the scene.  It was starting to rain much harder so I decided to cross the street and go to the mall.  I first went and checked out KFC so I could see how different the food was (I Had been tipped off).. They had deep fried shrimp and lots of sandwiches like wraps.  The fries were very thin.  I am not sure they had fried chicken at all.  They also had signs on the door for a wonton soup. 

 

I instead decided to try out a Chinese soup bowl chain restaurant. It was good.. we sat at a big table.. No one spoke English but a girl helped to call people when I was not being served and such. She was very nice.

After I stopped at the rest room, 3 were Asian style and 3 were western.. It seems as though, the western were much more popular. It seemed a little odd to me that both types were in the mall..(but believe me I was thankful) Each had a sign on the door that said what type of bathroom it was.

 

I went back to the subway and took it back home.  

 

I know its not terribly exciting, because they do have everything labeled in English but I was glad I took it alone. People's square is the big exchange station and so its very large and confusing, so I was happy to have tried it.   The students told me later that the expansion of the subway system will bring the subway within 2 blocks of the school.  Currently they have to pay about 20 rmb to take a taxi to catch it.  They are excited and the subway should open in their neighborhood in February.

 

Dinner

Right before class I met Becky Shih who took me to meet Mr. Letourneau asst principal. We had a nice talk. Then Becky took me to a Taiwanese dinner.

 

The Taiwanese dinner was very good.  We had some cold beans that were very good and they were very firm.  IN addition,  we had a shaved radish dish that had berries on it. She wanted me to try beef rolls that were beef rolled in thin bread with a slightly sweet sauce.  We also had garlic pork and some boiled cabbage/bock choy kind of vegetable.

 

She told me that Taiwanese is a little sweeter than Chinese.   I asked her about why people order so much food. (often if you go to a restaurant and order a menu item – they ask – just one??)  She says its Chinese custom to order much more food than you could eat. Its meant as hospitality to say there is plenty.


We had a wonderful conversation. We talked about how the school was hiring and she was the contact for it. I found myself thinking..  I wonder who I could recommend.. its much different than I would have thought it was.

 

 

fang song (fahn sew ng)= it means be loose – or relax.

 

So massage is a big thing in China and its super cheap.. So I have been engaging in that local past time.  However, I am learning a new word – the most common thing said to me by a masseuses is fang song – or RELAX!!!

 

After Class on Wednesday we went and got foot massages.  (This was 10 pm – they are open to 1) We being Elaine, Angelia and me.   Angelia is a regular at this place and she knows who is the best. It was very interesting.

 

First, they put your feet in a very very hot bucket of water and serve you plum tea. Then they start with the back and shoulder massage.. Very hard –(It's the next day and my back is a little sore – but in a good way.. ) I feel a little bruised. 

 

Next they had you sit back in an arm chair and they rubbed your feet with oil.. They worked the bottom of your feet in very specific ways. When it was done, I felt like your feet feel after wearing Dr. Scholl's sandals .. like your feet was different.

 

I was told that my feet told her that I need more reflexology to improve my intestinal system.  Angelia translated that they asked if we wanted the fire part of the massage and I thought.. Why not!!??

 

The fire is a thing called cupping. They take a little glass bowl and they fill it with alcohol and then they light it on fire. Then they attach it to your foot and gets this crazy suction. They rub it all over your feet (hurts a little) but its supposed to pull out toxins.. (and honestly, it felt that way) After they did that, they pull it off.. and it pops like a bottle of champagne !  Its quite and experience.

 

We took a cab home. Many of the students say they take a late night massage to relax after class. I could see how you could get used to this.. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment