Monday, May 19, 2014

Day 1 Italy- The first challenge is getting in the door.

So day 1, I had several fun things happen.. We arrived at 9:50 am.. which is basically 3 am Chicago time.. I slept fitfully on the plan, but made it in one piece.. all students made the plane as did their luggage.. Woot.. We traveled from the Rome airport by bus, I traveled with Charlotte in the OUA van and chatted.. (gosh I was getting tired).. As we drove down the Italian countryside I was struck by the beauty.. I saw a WWF wild refuge with wild horses.. I also saw many cities that were perched on the side of the hills.. definitely not a place where you would want to lean outside too far. When we arrived at Arezzo we arrived at the bus station and took students to their locations in shifts. Kirk walked one bunch to their B and B and the rest waited. One student had to "go" and it already became too apparent how much I was not prepared for the trip.. I did not know how to say bathroom.. (bano .. I will never forget).. but we went from bar to bar, but none were open on Sunday so we ended up seeing the Tourist information center.. and phew.. and also got a new map.. After I went to my apartment, I had a young man meet me, Lucia who spoke very little English and my translator app was not working well.. so frustrating.. he showed me some basics.. but not how the locks worked on my apartment.. So the adventure began. As soon as he left, I thought, Oh .. I should check the locks.. So I checked the first lock on the door, and got stuck inside. Then I kind of figured it out, and then got stuck outside in the hallway on the street. Oh my goodness. I was freaking out.. I am blaming jet lag for my lack of problem solving skills.. but either way, it was difficult. after a few frantic text and phone calls.. it opened.. and I found out that Italian doors unlock and push in.. and turn 5 or 6 times to lock or release.. good to know.. Then went to OUA to visit and see our way around.. More locks.. Then we met students at Piazza San Francesco and took them to OUA to see where it is.. (ps.. I am really dragging now).. The students decided to go to voucher restaurants in small groups.. Jim and Charlotte and I went to my apartment to make sure I could use the door..
Door from inside. 
Door from outside. The big silver lock is not the lock.. its the little metal one down a ways. 
the lock on my shutters..doesn't it look medieval
My outer door. 


We also happened upon a cheese festival in the Grand Plaza which is right down the street from my apartment. So I bought some cheese for my apartment and bread. It was lovely and after a few purchases with charlotte I was able to purchase on my own too. Which was nice. I spent about 30 euro - and have fresh parmiganio reggiano and other cheese. Fresh olive bread, and nut bread and a few pastries. I also got these round crackers that are salty and crunchy that are quite good. We returned this to my apartment.. and then went to dinner.







We ended up at a restaurant and I panicked a little because I could not order. Beatrice was eating at nearby table from OUA and I asked her to help. I owe her a dinner when she returns to Norman. I am finding with jetlag.. my mo is to panic first and figure out later. need to work on that. We had a love a dinner with local chianti for $5 a bottle.. antipaste for 6 euro, and 5 euro for a caprese salad. a lovely dinner that went into a very long sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment