Friday, May 30, 2014

Friday May 30th..

Today is a good day because I slept lots.. 

I taught class but instead of staying in the classroom we walked up the hill by the Duomo and had class in Prato Park by the Duomo http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20911308

after class I decided to do a little grocery shopping and show Amy Gardner around a little.. we also went to the yarn store. As I waited for her to come down the hill, I got to play with my most friendly neighbor..  gato. 






This is the picture of my street and a link again to the holiday house where I stay http://www.viapescaia.it/en/

Its a Friday, but with the Antique Festival about to start many people had clothing out to try.. it will be busy on Saturday and Sunday..  

Each night I am starting to recognize neighbors and love to hear the babies being put to bed or fighting their baths from the windows up above. 



Piazza grande is starting to be st up for the antique market.  there are all kinds of things. I took a picture of this booth because the mannequins reminded me of miss charity.  



After walking around the Piazza I came over to Corso Italia and decided why not to view the Bruschi Museum which is the man who founded the antiques market.  


It was a strange mix of things.. and reminded me of the Lightner Museum in St Augustine http://www.lightnermuseum.org/    I suspect he was a bit of a hoarder like Lightner but with good taste.

this house was owned by the guy that started the Arezzo Antique fair and since I was walking around the set up of the antique fair, I thought lets stop in the museum.  It was only $1 euro after having gone to the San Franscesco church to view the Frescas.  

The halls were poorly marked and I thought it was an Italian English problem but I talked with an Italian visitor and she was just as confused as me.  So its a museum to go and look around and don't be afraid if you cannot identify or say where the stuff came from, just admit its cool.   


a more ethnicly appropriate Jesus.. don't see many of those here.  



this is a nativity. 


pretty sure a real skull


galileon telescope


the view from the roof. 


after the museum, I met the Gardners for apertivo.  http://www.emikodavies.com/blog/italian-table-talk-the-aperitivo/.  Basically this is small snacks served with drinks before dinner.  We like to go to Bar Stefano because its close, offers great olives, and the drinks are inexpensive. So you meet and unwind and have a few snacks before dinner. 


Then for dinner we went to Ciao which the students say is great. It was fine but we had some serving problems.. meals came before antipasto etc..  I ordered Eggplant parmigiana and this is what I got..  

\


After dinner I walked down the Corso and ran into our students ready to karaoke for the night and Charlotte and Kirk getting ready to go to a Jazz concert. Jazz is not my thing, so I turned in.. and slept more.. I think I am have been really tired, or its the carbs.. 



No comments:

Post a Comment