Saturday, May 24, 2014

Saturday in Arezzo..

Again I greatly appreciate my sister and her work as a youth minister leading student trips. I may not be cut out for this.. I worry too much and am likely to quick to help..

So this morning I woke up to 17 emails from a student who locked himself out at 5am..  It was about 6am.   His bed and breakfast is about 2 minutes from me, so I got dressed and started to go look for him.  he emailed me back, (he had wifi but not phone).. and i found him at OUA.  We unfortunately talked in the hallway.. when I went to collect him, and woke the neighbors and both of us feel really bad about it.

I took him to Bar Stefano (the coffee shop down the street) and invited him to go to the flea market with another student and me.  He was pretty bummed out because he had missed the train with the group to Cinque Terra but we ended up having fun.

The other student met us, and we went down to the flea market, which was a lot of fun. On our walk, we found that the we passed the Roman ruins. Its now locked due to vandalism but we are taking a tour of it later in our trip.   But we were just walking on the sidewalk and saw this sign that lead us to see this in person.  http://www.panoramio.com/photo/30430611  
   
 
Taken from Primavera2013..

after we walked around the gate protecting the ampitheater, we went on to the Market.  So here is the funny thing, the similarities to us flea markets.  First there a bunch of cheap probably china made purses and household items.  Much like in the US where many people have the same items, such as purses and stuff.. There is kind of cheaply made dresses and clothing being sold as well. (reminds me of the beach dresses that they sell in places like the Dominican Republic).  but then there are all these tables where people are digging through clothes.. and then they have these big bags of more clothing, and when they drop it, its like a frenzy of ladies digging through it to find things.. 

So as I go and start digging too.. I realize most of this stuff has tags on it from Goodwill!!! This is the goodwill recycling that the Planet Money talked about.  http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/12/10/247362140/the-afterlife-of-american-clothes

So the first table I went to it was 2.50 Euro (around 3.40 US).. but then we noticed as we went deeper into the market, the prices got cheaper.. I also noticed that the cheaper prices were more plus sized clothing..  So this worked out well for me.. I am freezing in my apartment, and have been sleeping in my fleece..  so now,  I have a few new sweaters.  I also wish I had brought more t-shirts, so picked up a nice red shirt I could wear to teach in..  and a long sleeve t-shirt since I am cold.  I bought those for two euro or about 2.75 each. I may just leave them here, but it will allow me more comfort in my chilly apartment. 

but one of the things we found, was a Texas Tank.. So here is a picture of me holding it.. upside down of course. 




So after we went to the market, we walked back and went to coffee O clock, which turns out to be a voucher restaurant that has american style coffees. We had a nice chai tea latte and then returned to Corso Italia so that the student could contact the owner of his b and b to get back inside.  after a little translation issue, Sara, the owner's girlfriend who spoke great English came and we began searching for his keys. 

We found them but in an unlikely place so all were relieved. The b and b owner was worried if the keys were lost it would be unsafe for all the residents and they might need to change locks.  so they stayed to clean,  and I invited the student to hang out and work as I caught on my blogging and did laundry.. 

You know I have to wash my goodwill finds so that I may wear them. 

SPeaking of laundry, there are no dryers here. I am so fortunate to have a washer in my apartment. so I will wash my clothing and hang them out on a rack on my porch to let dry. I don't have a lot of problems with birds, so I hoe they will dry in the Tuscan sun!! (without extra gifts). 

More later, I am going to go back and finish my posts from the last few days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment