Saturday, May 24, 2014

Friday:Normal Class and Striscia Winery

So Friday was more normal day.  We had our class on Standards and using garage band.  Students are working on a fun garage band audio file to see how its done.

The Internet is abysmal, and only about the half the class can get on at one time.. back to paper, back to old ways and good opportunity to show back up plans.

After class, I went and worked on this blog at bar stefano, I was so far behind and tired from the days in Florence, that i made sure to outline each day so that I could back in and fill in the gaps.. and then I ran into some students. We talked a little and I agreed to meet up with students later.

Had a student stop by my apartment for help on something.

At 2pm we met to talk walk to La Struscia winery.  http://www.lastriscia.com/en/ It was a walk to the outskirts of town but a nice walk about 25 minutes.  Near the winery is a park that quite pretty.

It kept on kind of half raining half drizzling throughout our walk but overall it was  quite nice.  At the winery they showed us how they made the wine took us out to the fields.    There were two tourists from Russia staying at the winery who accompanied us.  

We returned to the b and b part where they hosted a light antipasto style dinner (toasted bread with olive oil and pepper,  bologna, salami, and priscuitto  and We had a this great spelt salad that was spelt, mozzerela, tomato and olive oil. It was great and I hope to order it somewhere again. )

They allowed us to taste their three main wines. a chiante, a merlot and another one.  They were all fine, not my favorites and good wine is easy to find here.  For example the chiante was only 6 euros a bottle and was fine..  and would sell in the US for 17.00  http://www.vinesse.com/buy/2012-fattoria-la-striscia-berardino-chiani-italy-sangiovese-blend/   some students bought some to take home to family.


When we walked back, I stopped at Jim's apartment for a glass of wine. It is much further out than mine, but it has a wonderful view of Arezzo. you have to walk up three flights of stairs to get there but the view pays off of the mountains.   Also its very modern and he may have more than three minutes of hot water to shower with.

Evening was supposed to be shopping under the stars where all the stores were open until midnight, i was back about 8pm, and I started to shop and then it began to rain really hard, so instead, I took the student's advice and went to Crima for my first gelato of the trip. I had a half hazelnut, half nutella mousse as my first attempt.

IT was raining very hard yet so I went home..I was very tired..(sugar in gelato?) I did make a dinner of sorts, I cooked fresh tuscan tomatoes in olive oil and balsamic and then had a yogurt. It was a good meal and I enjoyed it.  I was able to skype with Brian and it was nice to see his face and get caught up on Norman.

However it was raining hard so I crashed, and listened to the rain hit against the street and my medieval shutters.

First week done..

No comments:

Post a Comment